Summary: During this week's gathering, we heard Jesus tell us in Luke 18:1-8 to pray and keep praying and then pray some more so that we won't give up. And while that's an invitation to be persistent about anything we need to pray about, the conversation Jesus has in Luke 17 about the kingdom of God gives us a clear application for prayer in 2014. While we wait for Jesus to return and for everything to flourish and for everyone to thrive both anywhere and all the time, prayer is how we express our faith in Jesus' promise to finish what he started.
- Whenever God speaks, we respond - either in obedience or disobedience. Doing nothing is disobedience.
- Obedience to God is built on repentance and faith - honesty about our sin and hope in Jesus' work on our behalf.
- The Holy Spirit fuses God's message to our life. How are you supposed to respond to what you heard this week?
- Who is helping you follow Jesus this week? Discipleship in isolation is a recipe for frustration.
A few ways we can help you as a church:
- Paul Miller's book, A Praying Life, has done more to help me understand prayer than anything else I've read.
- If you're wondering who to pray for, start with the people who live next to you and work with you. The way we love our neighbor (BLESS) starts by B - beginning in prayer.
- Our Prayer 2014 series continues each Sunday in January. Next Sunday we'll connect prayer to our involvement in starting new churches.
- We've created community groups as a place for you to connect relationally and grow spiritually. If you'd like more information about community groups, fill this out.
- We've created DNA Groups as the place for you to go deep in the Bible as you get deep with other people. For more information about DNA Groups, read this and that; then drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org if we can help you start a DNA Group or get connected with one that's already up and running.
If you have any questions or want to add to the conversation, look at the box on your left and 'leave a comment.'
Have a great week and thanks for allowing us to help you follow Jesus!