From Erin Todd:
An article posted on FB caught my attention this week, “Why Is It So Hard to Make Friends After College?”. While I graduated more than a few years back, I still think about the wonderful friendships I made in college and how I’ve struggled to make new friends in a new city. I think a lot of us – from just out of college to empty nesters - feel the same frustration. Where is that community that I long for? - the group of girls that I can call at any hour, who really get me – the never on time, sometimes awkward, introvert trying to be outgoing – me? I’m in a wonderful community group and just started meeting with two lovely ladies in a DNA group, but I still find myself getting frustrated at my lack of community – and feeling lonely. That’s why I’m so excited about our upcoming women’s retreat. I know that I probably won’t leave with 25 new best friends, but I am excited about continuing to build a community of women at our church who will encourage one another to press into the best Best Friend we’ll ever have.
SO – If you haven’t signed up for the retreat, I hope you’ll join us. Here are a couple of reasons I think you should consider it. And if you’ve already signed up, I hope these reasons will make you extra excited:
- You might just find community OR even better, you might just be the community that someone else was looking for. I usually show up to community group or retreats thinking, “I’m going to go because I really need this right now”, but how often do I forget that it isn’t just about me? (Often ). I hope you’ll consider coming to the retreat because all of us need you to be there. College students – we need your enthusiasm, 20somethings – we need your real-life questions, Moms – we need your honesty, and empty nesters – we need your wisdom. We need you to be there even when you feel like you don’t have anything to give.
- Our Heavenly Father will be there, encouraging us to come and find friendship in Him. “In John 15:15 Jesus calls us friends, reminding us that perfect friendship is only to be had in Him…So that deep yearning in me is not just a yearning for earthly friends, but for friendship with Christ.” I am so excited to hear the message that the leaders of the IF: Gathering are going to share with us as we wrestle together with the unique calling He has placed on each of our lives.
- You don’t need to get it together before you come. In fact, please don’t try, because if you try, you’re going to be exhausted (even more than you already are) and you’re just going to make the rest of us feel bad for not at least pretending we’ve got it all together. So, come in your sweat pants, yoga pants, fat pants, etc. and get cozy with us.
If you have not already signed up, here are 3 very simple steps:
- Register for the IF: Local gathering here: https://ifgathering.purecharity.com/local *The suggested donation amount is $25, but give what you can, whether it be more or less.
- Once you have registered, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your NAME and AGE.
- You are done! Wait for an e-mail from us on more details!
We are so excited to be able to gather together, cast all our junk at His feet and listen for His calming voice in the midst of our chaotic lives.